photo 417828_380006198781818_147457137_n_zpscbb049d0.jpg

May 29, 2013

I take a lot of pride in the way my horses look. There is nothing like seeing a beautifully turned out, good looking horse at a three day. The grooming, however, does not just take place at the event. It has to happen at home.

I have a pretty strict grooming regime that I follow most days.

It starts with a curry mitt. Smellie has sensitive skin and does not tolerate most curry combs (cough...spoiled...cough). Plus, I think the mitt helps get the dirt up better, especially in the legs and face.

The mitt is followed by a relatively stiff brush. Obviously not too stiff as to irritate my favorite boy, but just stiff and long enough bristles to produce a satisfying flicking, swishing action.

Assuming this got the worst of the dirt and dust, I move on to step three. Sometimes I need another go around with the mitt, however. Like on those days Smellie decided to wallow in the pond.


Step 3 is to curry him again with burlap. I also sometimes use a mitt that had cactus cloth on one side and sheep skin on the other. This works just as well. Burlap just happens to be less expensive. Rubbing with a rough cloth like this gets some more of the dirt up and also moves oils about the skin.

I follow the burlap 'curry' with a body brush. This gets any remaining dust and dandruff off. It also really makes them shine.

Finally, I follow with one last towel. This time with something soft. I rub in circles but then whisk off in the direction of the hair.

I brush him before I ride, but I also try to do it afterwards because that when his pores really open up and the oils in his skin are most likely to be spread around. Unfortunately, Elliot sweats a lot so I cannot always just brush him after riding. More often than not, he needs a shower.

Sometimes I pull out the horse vacuum just because I'm lazy, but this routine is pretty effective to make them look good.

About once a week I also check tail, mane, and clipping needs. Each gets attended to as needed.

I pull the top of the tail versus clipping it because I'm old fashioned. I usually just do it with my fingers, but for the short little hairs that need to go, a good set of needle nose pliers is very handy! The bottom I keep short and banged. I like it about half way between his hocks and his pasterns. It makes it look more full. I do not brush it unless I'm going to a show or clinic. His tail is not especially thick, and I do not want any to break off needlessly.

I keep his mane tidy. Maybe a little on the short side at time because he hates having his mane pulled,which is funny because he stands for his tail, though perhaps begrudgingly. Pulling Smellie's mane is a bit of an ordeal. One person has to hold the twitch and one to pull fast and furious.

Clipping includes muzzle, a short (about 1") bridle path, and cleaning out his ears. Again, a twitch is necessary for his ears, but he's good about the rest.


I'm not big into using products. Mostly a good diet, good exercise, and a good dose of elbow grease are the trick for keeping Smellie looking great. These are the things I DO use: Muck Itch for the scurffy patches he gets on his legs during the muddy season, MTG for to top of his tail where he he looses hair in the summer, Tomorrow for his feet to treat thrush, and various antibiotic creams for scrapes and cuts.

At shows I will use Show Sheen to brush through his tail, and I also spray his tail with Pink which adds an amazing luster. Effol Hoof Ointment is my go to hoof dressings. It is a bit of a waxy consistency versus oily so it is less messy plus makes the feet look great!

And of course sun screen is always in my grooming box! Need to protect my skin as much as possible!



*Professional Equine Grooms Website has some great tips about grooming and how to keep you horse looking good. It's worth checking out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment