photo 417828_380006198781818_147457137_n_zpscbb049d0.jpg

Jun 5, 2013

I entered Stuart Horse Trials in New York this morning. Well, I overnighted my entry this morning. Fingers crossed I get in. It's about a week after the opening date.

Betsy and I are headed up to my old stomping grounds for July and part of August. It's going to be so awesome. We are taking six horses; three are our own and three client horses. It may actually pay for itself this time, but probably not. We'll come back south broke as always. Going to be eating Ramen noodles everyday...

It's going to be so worth it, however!

First, I get to run some tough Area I courses. We need a few more good intermediates before the CCI2 at Fair Hill. I am feeling super after CHC International, but I know we are still green at this level and I want some more our my belt. I'm entering him at Stuart and Millbrook both of which should be solid courses and also good terrain. We should walk away with some great education!

Second, I get to show Elliot off to everyone in Area I that I grew up riding with. When I was a kid I rode a lot of horses but did not really have my own. My sophomore year in high school, my family bought a wonderful quarter horse gelding named Sterling. I shared him with my mother. He wasn't fancy but he was just what I needed at the time to get my confidence up and make me think I could do anything. I ran him through training level before he did a very low front suspensory and had to more or less retire to the lower levels with my mom. I was hungry for more so I catch rode a lot of horses. Now I get to brag about my very own, very special horse!

Third, I get to see my family, and they get to see me compete. My mother rides. We rode together when I was a kid. It's another reason why horses are very special to me. My dad doesn't ride, but he likes to watch me and my mother ride. My parents came to all my events when I was living in Area I. They were my biggest fans. Living so far away now, they don't get to see my ride much anymore. They're still my biggest fans, but it will be nice to see them cheer in person!


Fourth, we get a chance to school at some of the great places, like Ledyard, and do some serious conditioning work on hills. The later is less important for Elliot since he's easy to get fit, but will be great for some of our other horses.

Fifth, we can escape some of the brutal Mississippi heat. It is already getting oppressive outside and it's only June 5. July is going to be terrible.

Sixth, it's time for a rematch with Area I. The last time I went up north with Elliot he was running beginner novice and not very successfully. Our first event ever was at Huntington. Denny Emerson, who doesn't know me from Adam and was coaching one of his own students at the time, picked me out in cross country warm up to tell me that Elliot was a nice horse. I promptly got eliminated at fence four after a stop at each of the proceeding. This time it's not going the same way!


The list goes on and on. It suffices to say that going up north is going to be great for our horses and for us! Cannot wait.

0 comments:

Post a Comment