photo 417828_380006198781818_147457137_n_zpscbb049d0.jpg

May 9, 2013

We ran our second Intermediate horse trials at Poplar Place last weekend. My goal was to have another solid cross country round before we head off to the CIC 2* at Chatt Hills in a couple weeks. River Glen was spectacular, but getting around one event makes you lucky; two makes you legit.

Elliot was on form! He put in a stellar dressage test. Getting more and more rid-able every day. All the hard work at home is definitely paying off. Sandy Osborn gave us a 37.60 which put us in 4th our of 21! I was over the moon!


It was pouring down rain all day Saturday. We're talking where's the arc. Warm up for SJ was miserable and the footing was getting deeper and deeper with every ride. I was the weakest link. I let our placing after dressage, the big intermediate fences, and the weather get to me. I forgot my turn to fence three an incurred 4 penalties for a technical refusal. Then had a couple rails trying to race the clock. It was a disappointing way to throw away fourth place, but I have to say I was also so happy to get around a course that was causing some more seasoned horses trouble.


I was a little worried about the cross country footing after the deluge on Saturday. After much hemming and hawing Betsy and I decided to run Smellie slow so that we had another good gallop and another run before attempting a 2*. I walked the course Sunday morning and found a four leaf clover. He ran around that course and made it feel easy. We both had a couple green moments, but ran safe and solid and came away a more educate pair. Corners, tables, angled tables, skinnies, his first sunken road!

We ended up finishing 7th of 21 including a number of seasoned advanced horses. Elliot is getting better and better. We're feeling very good about the CIC 2* at Chatt coming up!


0 comments:

Post a Comment